There are two new apps on the market, Meerkat and Periscope. These two apps allow users to live broadcast video from their phones. Theres a catch though, your location will also be broadcasted along with your video. Creepy, right? I can honestly see how this can be cool and open up a whole new world in the already huge social media world. But a part of me isn't okay with it. In this article they state that, "Periscope allows users to broadcast their exact GPS location, even showing the direction their phone is facing. But Periscope viewers of any broadcast can zoom in and see the exact location — with street names and building positions labeled – of where the smartphone user is recording the video" I don't think I personally will be using either of these apps. That is just a little too much for me. There's enough risk, if someone were to hack your device and find your location that way, but to just allow it on the app? No thank you! Besides that creepy fact, I can personally see this really changing how news is presented to us. Now you won't have to have a camera crew follow a reporter around. A reporter can just be out and about and start broadcasting. Now we are definitely going to run into some filtering issues, but I think this could really be beneficial. Especially with the creepy location part of the app. A reporter can broadcast about an event or even a road block, and you will be able to see just where it is and how to either avoid it or get to it.
http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2015/03/31/new-apps-allow-smartphone-users-to-live-broadcast-any-unfiltered-video-content/
No comments:
Post a Comment